Friday, December 12, 2008

Darkness is not dark ...

On Thursday, we observed that the Light was in the beginning with God:

He was in the beginning with God.
All things came into being through him,
and without him not one thing came into being.
What has come into being in him was life,
and the life was the light of all people.
The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness did not overcome it.
John 1:2-5 – NRSV

That Light is something worth singing about:

Father and Friend, Thy Light, Thy Love
John Bowring

Father and friend, thy light, thy love,
Beaming though all thy works we see;
Thy glory gilds the heav’ns above,
And all the earth is full of thee.

Thy voice we hear, thy presence feel
While thou, too pure for mortal sight,
Enrapt in clouds, invisible,
Reignest the Lord of life and light.

Thy children shall not faint nor fear,
Sustained by this delightful tho’t;
Since though, their God, art ev’rywhere,
They cannot be where thou are not.

Can this Light really go anywhere? Didn’t the Creator separate light and darkness in the very beginning? According to the Psalmist, that Light can go wherever it wills …

Where can I go from your spirit?
Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning
and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light around me become night,"
even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is as bright as the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
Ps 139:7-12 – NRSV

All is known to God, whether in his light or out of it. And eventually, everything will be revealed by his Light.

May God help us be prepared for the revelation that comes with the arrival of his Light.

Blessings,

Ron