Thursday, January 22, 2009

Daddy, where are you?

Today’s devotional from Jason:

“Daddy, where are you? Daddy, where are you?”

I sat and listened to my youngest son shout this all over our house. He had wanted to play a game of hide and seek. I had told him that we couldn’t play for long because everybody was so busy at that moment doing chores and getting ready for church.

“Daddy, where are you?”

I heard him shouting from our den and he kept getting closer. I heard a yell coming from down the hall so I left my hiding place to go and check out what chaos was occurring this time. As I dealt with the problem, I heard, “Daddy, where are you?” I then went into the kitchen to help with clean up after dinner, and had forgotten all about our game of hide and seek.

About 5 minutes later I hear my son’s little yell coming out of the dining room. He was about to start crying and he just yelled, “Daddy, where are you?”

With all the busyness of evening, I had forgotten to keep playing with my son. He never stopped looking for me. His heart was set on finding his daddy. When I saw him coming into the kitchen I ran and picked him up and cheered him on for finding me, but in my heart I felt horrible for letting my “busy” life at the time keep me from finishing our game. I know that life happens and we have to deal with those little bumps in the road, but I will never forget the fact that my son never gave up looking for me and was determined to seek me out with all of his heart.


Jeremiah 29:11-14
For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you," says the LORD. "I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land."

Unlike myself, God does not forget that we are looking for him. He is always watching with plans in hand. He has a great plan for our lives, but we have to seek him. We have to seek him with all of our hearts and not give up. The Bible tells us that if we seek him, we will find him, so I have no doubt that it is not hard to find our heavenly Father. He is listening and waiting for us to yell out or whisper, “Daddy, where are you!” Are you seeking?

Blessings,

Jason