Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Being and doing ...

Being and doing, being and doing. Even though I preach that lesson and long to be in the presence of my Father, I find myself doing more and more. Yesterday in the chaos of the day, and the busyness that we all do not want to have on Sunday, I found myself running around the house cleaning and moving furniture. I couldn’t stop. I was organizing our bedroom, I was folding laundry, I was getting more and more frustrated as the day wore on. This came right after preaching about being and doing. I wanted to sit down all day and just be in the presence of God, but that is so hard when you have this person asking for this, your daughter choosing to never fall asleep for her nap, someone always asking “what’s for snack?”

I know that many of you can feel my pain. I kept saying to myself, if I only have an organized space, I can sit and relax and be with God. I just can’t focus when things are not in order. Some of you may think I am insane, but that is how I get sometimes when I am tired and worn out from the wonderful life that we all live. I am reminded of someone else who had this same problem.

“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed, Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her.”
Luke 10:38-42

I know that our world doesn’t always slow down for us to sit and be in God’s presence, but that is when we need to make ourselves slow down. We may feel we need everything perfect in our universe, but that’s not going to happen. Spending time with God is important, so if you need your world ordered for that time, spend some time preparing.

Find yourself a quiet place in your house. Pick a corner of a room that no one seems to come in very often. Find yourself a comfy chair, speak with your spouse and those around you and let them know that there is a time that you will be taking as your quiet “Being” time with God. They should understand, they are hopefully seeking that same time themselves. When and if you create this place, spend some time in silence before you do anything. Let God’s peace come over you. Open your Bible and allow the words to open, break, and reshape your heart.

Silence and Solitude with the Father is slowly but surely becoming a reality for us. We are in this together on our journey, let’s keep each other in our prayers and help each other out to find that peaceful time with God. Happy Being!

Jason

No comments: