Monday, April 13, 2009

Freedom to be vulnerable ...

Over the next few days I will be sharing some of the closing thoughts from our team members. I wanted to close down this devotional experience this way so we can all hear the hearts of our brothers and sisters in the trenches with us. I wanted to share with you some of what I have heard and felt over the past few months of this experience. Thank you all for your help and encouragement along the way.

Jason

Angela’s Thoughts

Good morning! I had something I wanted to share with you before the day of "business" began :)

One memorable experience I had in regarding to your awesome devotional schedule is from a different perspective.

I don't remember what it was that kept me from the meeting this particular morning, but it was the morning that you discussed worship and had a lengthy time of singing as a group. I have thought about that morning many times since knowing I missed it.

I have tried to envision what the group sounded like, tried to imagine what the room felt like, what everyone's faces looked like, and tried to recreate what my heart may have felt in those moments. And I find myself very saddened that I missed such a beautiful moment of spiritual intimacy shared with my closest friends and family. Personally, I need to sing as a channel of encouragement and connection to God, as well as listen to music that praises our God. We have replaced a lot of TV time by listening to the Christian XM station on the satellite, but it's just not the same and it never can be as hearing the combined voices of those who love God and each other deeply. I know that it's taught over and over again about "not forsaking the assembly" out of respect for the elders, the congregation, and your own relationship with God. But never have I felt the repercussions of "forsaking" the assembly so strongly than to know what I missed out on. I can't imagine going through life, let alone a job like we have, without that sense of family, belonging, connection, and even sorrow when opportunities for time spent together are lost out on.

It is difficult for someone with my temperament to admit that I am in need of anything. But there is no denying the fact that I need my friends. I need my brothers and sisters. I need their encouragement through their presence, their prayers, their words, and their songs. To pretend otherwise is both cowardly and selfish. Praise be to God and His Son, that we have the freedom to be vulnerable with each other and that that vulnerability completes God's plan for His Kingdom, both now and in eternity.

Thanks for a wonderful time of challenge and growth <>< Angela

(hint, hint: can we please sing again sometime)

No comments: