Thursday, May 21, 2009

How much ...

Today, a prayer:

Lord,
How much juice you can squeeze from a single grape.
How much water you can draw from a single well.
How great a fire you can kindle from a tiny spark.
How great a tree you can grow from a tiny seed.
My soul is so dry that by itself it cannot pray,
Yet you can squeeze from it the juice of a
thousand prayers.
My soul is so parched that by itself it cannot love;
Yet you can draw from it boundless love for you
and for my neighbor.
My soul is so cold that by itself it has no joy,
Yet you can light the fire of heavenly joy within me.
My soul is so feeble that by itself it has no faith;
Yet by your power my faith grows to a great height.
Thank you for prayer, for love, for joy, for faith;
Let me always be prayerful, loving, joyful, faithful.

Amen.


A prayer of Guigo the Carthusian (d. 1188)

Blessings,

Ron