Monday, June 22, 2009

Taking charge of the ocean ...

Sometimes when we talk with God, we forget to whom we’re talking.
We can forget who it is that we’re asking questions.
The way that God answers Job may seem harsh in some ways,
Yet, to me, it is the voice of a loving parent,
Trying to remind a child of:
Who truly has knowledge of the world;
who has demonstrated who they are;
And who has proven what they can do.
Hear the word of the Lord:


And now, finally, God answered Job from the eye of a violent storm. He said:

"Why do you confuse the issue?
Why do you talk without knowing what you're talking about?
Pull yourself together, Job!
Up on your feet! Stand tall!
I have some questions for you,
and I want some straight answers.

Where were you when I created the earth?
Tell me, since you know so much!
Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that!
Who came up with the blueprints and measurements?
How was its foundation poured,
and who set the cornerstone,
While the morning stars sang in chorus
and all the angels shouted praise?

And who took charge of the ocean
when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb?
That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds,
and tucked it in safely at night.
Then I made a playpen for it,
a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose,
And said, 'Stay here, this is your place.
Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'

Job 38:1-11 – THE MESSAGE

Grace and peace,

Ron