Thursday, June 11, 2009

Too tired ...

Nobody ever warned me that the longer I lived the longer would be the list of my failures. Lord, on gloomy days, they seem to overwhelm all the happy memories, and I wonder what point there is in going on. But I know you faced much worse than I ever have, and that you rose again, even from the dead. Lord of resurrection, lift me from the dust and ashes of my failures into the joy of your kingdom and help me to trust, even on gloomy days, that your light still shines.
- Dorothy M. Stewart

I am tired, Lord,
too tired to think,
too tired to pray,
too tired to do anything.
Too tired,
drained of resources,
"labouring at the oars against a head wind,"
pressed down by a force as strong as the sea.
Lord of all power and might,
"you way was through the sea, your path through the great waters,"
calm my soul,
take control,
Lord of all power and might.
- Rex Chapman

Unsleeping friend,
when I come to the end of my strength,
and my work has no blessing in it,
help me to remember you,
to reach for the hand of a friend
and find your love there
- Bernard Thorogood

Tiffany and I offer this final prayer, written by Richard Harries, for all of you:

O God, we hold in your all-embracing arms those who feel at the end of their tether; those who feel things going against them; those who feel got down. Help them to let go into your life-giving power which saves us from every kind of death.

Lord, make possible for me by grace what is impossible to me by nature. You know that I am not able to endure very much, and that I am downcast with the slightest difficulty. Grant that for your sake I may come to love and desire any hardship that puts me to the test, for your salvation is brought to my soul when I undergo suffering and trouble for you.
-Thomas a Kempis

May Jesus Christ, the King of glory, help us to make the right use of all the suffering that comes to us and to offer him the incense of a patient and trustful heart; for his name's sake. Amen.
-Johannes Tauler

Blessings,

Greg and Tiffany