Thursday, August 13, 2009

Managing our thoughts ...

Today’s devo is from Shiann:

I shall never likely forget my feelings in response to the first time someone I respected and generally believed told me that my depression had a direct link to my pride. He was speaking in a lecture setting and didn’t state this directly to me, but the Holy Spirit made sure it cut deep
(Job 3:17-18 “But consider the joy of those corrected by God! Do not despise the chastening of the Almighty when you sin. For though he wounds, he also bandages. He strikes, but his hands also heal.”).

Though it may not be true for the whole of everyone’s depression, I now believe it to be a part of all depression. We could easily debate all day as to what might start or finish it. However, somewhere in the middle, pride lives and the Deceiver propagates evil intent. Oh, and have I let him!

I have frequently had the thought grow into a poisonous, gnarled tree in my head “I am not what God says I am.” I have ingested the fruit of that tree, producing thoughts and then behaviors that indicate He is not the holder of Truth. My version of the story must be true. Because it feels, thinks, tastes, looks, smells as if it were true. That, friends, is pride. I am right, not the I AM.

As I have worked to allow God’s story to be the version I believe, this truth has jumped out to me in the Scriptures repeatedly. God’s desire is for us to manage our thoughts and He give us so many ways to do this. Read with me one from the Easy-to-Read version of Scripture:


Brothers and sisters, continue to think about what is good and worthy of praise. Think about what is true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected.
Philippians 4:8

We get to choose if we allow the Evil One to work our thoughts over or not. It may not feel like we are choosing. We are choosing nonetheless.

The temptation to think about the negative is so strong. Yet God beckons us through the pen of our brother Paul, look at the good stuff. Focus on the beauty of nature, the laughter of children, the improvements our boys have made, the feel-good story of someone's sacrificial living.

The truth is I have the power to choose. Will I believe that God says I'm enough/not too much? Will I believe that there are good things going on even when I can't see/feel it? Or will I give up my choice and let another choose for me? Will I do the work required to allow God to change my thinking? Will I allow the pain of change to overtake my desire to have change happen or will I look to the future and believe that God has a work to finish in me?

May you believe the Truth of God's words today and may it be the filter you use for other information you process.

Shiann