Saturday, December 5, 2009

Your place in my story ...

Today’s devotional thought is from Shiann:

Donald Miller, in his most recent book,
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, discusses writing his story and editing it for a movie. This changes his perspective on how he sees his life. He is coming out of a deep depression and just a general funk and discusses it throughout the book. I wanted to share this quote with you from the book because it profoundly touched me.

In writing a story, I felt the way I hope God feels as He writes the world. Sitting over the planets and placing tiny people in tiny wombs. If I have a hope, it is that God sat over the dark nothing and wrote you and me specifically in the story and put us with the sunset and the rainstorm as though to say "enjoy your place in My story. The beauty of it means that you matter. And you can create within it just as I have created you."

I’ve wondered, though, if one of the reasons we fail to acknowledge the brilliance of life is because we don’t want the responsibility inherent in that acknowledgement. We don’t want to be characters in a story because characters have to move and breathe and face conflict with courage. And if life isn’t remarkable, then we don’t have to do any of that. We can be unwilling victims rather than grateful participants.

People seem to find it easy to live as victims. We can “waller” (as my momma says) in our stuff as well as any hog in the mud. Yet God calls us out of that. He gives us people in our lives that need us so we’ll give up the wallerin’. He gives us opportunities to serve and see past our own hurts long enough to see God working for another. If God is working in the life of another, He can work in my life, too!

The other noted point here is to engage in life means to face conflict and “wrassle” (as Momma says) with life. We have the power of God, why not be courageous?!

Shiann