Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We will not keep silent . . .

Nearly 20 years ago, Ann and I drove up from our home in Richardson, Texas, to visit my folks. On Sunday morning, we went to visit the church at which I had grown up. It was good to see those whom we had known for so long, and those with whom we had shared so much.

All was well until we started to sing. From behind me to my left, I could hear the voice of one with whom I had grown up; the kind of friend who always has been, and always will be, a sister to both of us. From behind me to my right, I could hear the voice of a woman who is like my second mother, and who is like another mother to Ann. The words and the music and the singers marched us in step right back Home. Ann and I had not ever been so “at home” and “homesick” at the same time in our entire lives.

Our hearts were overflowing;
We were compelled by joy to sing;
We could not keep silent.


We Will Not Keep Silent

We are people who must sing you,
for the sake of our very lives.
You are a God who must be sung by us,
for the sake of your majesty and honor.
And so we thank you,
for lyrics that push us past our reasons,
for melodies that break open our givens,
for cadences that locate us home,
beyond all our safe places,
for tones and tunes that open our lives beyond control,
and our futures beyond despair.

We thank you for long parade of mothers and fathers
who have sung you deep and true;
We thank you for the good company
of artists, poets, musicians, [and] cantors . . .
that sing for us and with us, toward you.
We are witnesses to your mercy and splendor;
We will not keep silent . . . ever again.
Amen
- Walter Brueggemann


Who are the mothers and fathers, the parade of people who have sung God deep and true? Who are those with whom we sing when we sing God’s praises, when we will not keep silent?

Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord:
"I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously;
horse and rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my might,
and he has become my salvation;
this is my God, and I will praise him,
my father's God, and I will exalt him.
The Lord is a warrior; the Lord is his name.”

And Miriam sang to them:
"Sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously;
horse and rider he has thrown into the sea."
- Ex 15

Then Deborah and Barak son of Abinoam sang on that day, saying:
"When locks are long in Israel,
when the people offer themselves willingly — bless the Lord!
Hear, O kings; give ear, O princes; to the Lord I will sing,
I will make melody to the Lord, the God of Israel.
- Jdg 5

David spoke to the Lord the words of this song on the day when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. He said:
For this I will extol you, O Lord, among the nations,
and sing praises to your name.
He is a tower of salvation for his king,
and shows steadfast love to his anointed,
to David and his descendants forever.
- 2 Sa 22

Then on that day David first appointed the singing of praises to the Lord by Asaph and his kindred . . .
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice,
and let them say among the nations, "The Lord is king!"
Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
let the field exult, and everything in it.
Then shall the trees of the forest sing for joy before the Lord,
for he comes to judge the earth.
O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
for his steadfast love endures forever.
- 1 Ch 16


May you find the joy,
May you feel the peace,
May you know the love,
That helps you feel at Home.
That makes your heart overflow with song.

Grace and peace,

Ron