Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Walking like Abram

There has been a new phrase among the Christian community over the past few years. “God is not my co-pilot, he is my pilot.” This is coming off of the many bumper stickers that say, "God is my co-pilot." The more you think about it, the clearer it becomes. If God is our co-pilot, then who is in control? Who is flying the plane? I feel like so often I have been fighting for the control of my life. I have been trying to grab hold with both hands and refusing to let go. Who doesn’t want to have some sort of control over their own lives? Where they will be going, what they will be doing, what they will be eating, who they will be going with? God has a plan for all of us and he lets us know a piece of that plan at a time. The call happens and off we go, or we choose to plant our feet firmly in the dirt and say, no I will not be moved. Hear this call from scripture:

The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.”

“I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”

So Abram left, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him, Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Haran. He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.
Genesis 12:1-5

Could you imagine that? One minute you think everything is going great. You have a great wife, you have servants, you have a lot of things, and then you hear the voice of God telling you to go. Go where? To a land I will show you. The planner and organized person in me is screaming at this point. Where am I going, how much food should we take? Get me a map of the area so I know what to expect. It just says he got up and left. He took his wife and their belongings, and Lot and his family and belongings.

Abram could have said no and that he was going to stay right where he was. He could have said no, I am in control of my life here and if I leave here, I will lose that control. That is where having God as your pilot comes in. That is where the faith is built. That is where the dependence on yourself gives way to the dependence on God. God tells us he has a land and a road to show us. We just need to ask where and go! If Abram would not have done this and chosen to stay, then we never would have had an Abraham. Are you ready for an adventure? Hold on tight to the Father and let him guide you through the wonderful life he has planned for you!

Blessings!

Jason