Monday, November 3, 2008

Walking like Enoch

This week, Jason Roark has agreed to bring our devotional thoughts:

I have a question for you. How many of you, when you get to the genealogies, skip over them and think there is nothing important for me to read here. Blah, blah, begat, blah, blah and blahhhhh. Is that what you think? Well I was reading through Genesis the other day and came across the genealogies and all the ages of everyone who lived a long time ago. Look in Genesis 5:21. When you look there you see the story of Enoch. It’s only about 4 verses, but in those verses is a story that is beyond comprehension.


“When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.”

Did you catch the story? Did I even have to bold the important parts? Enoch was a regular man, but he did something that not everyone can totally say about their lives. Enoch walked with God.

A little girl in Sunday school class was asked about this man Enoch walking with God, and where he went when God took him away. This was her reply. “Enoch and God used to go on several walks together. They loved to walk along the river and the mountains. They would walk and talk, and talk and walk. One day Enoch knew he was getting too old to walk very far, but he was with God and he didn’t care how old he was, so they just kept on walking. Enoch started getting tired, and said ‘Father, I think I need to go home, because you are wearing me out.’ And God said, ‘My child, your house is far away now, mine is closer, let’s just go to my house forever!!’ That’s what happened to Enoch. God took him home!”

Oh the innocence of a little child. That makes the most sense to me as well. I want to be like Enoch. I want to walk daily with God. I want to walk so far with Him, that He finally one day says, “We’ve walked a long way, and you’ve done well my child. I want to take you home to my house forever!!” Wouldn’t that be awesome! Let’s walk with God like Enoch. Hand in hand forever!

Jason