Thursday, February 12, 2009

Clear your blurred vision ...

Shiann brings today’s devotional thought by reminding us that one of the ways that we practice being a truthful people is by allowing God to heal our perspective through our hope and imagination:

Hear the words of Paul:


I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.

But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.
Philippians 3:12-16 &20-21 from the Message

This scripture is so ripe with promise! May it be true that when I truly learn to keep focused on the goal, that God will “clear my blurred vision.” I have such need for that to happen! It is in the daily process where we work to bend our will that He changes our vision, changes our focus. Isn’t it beautiful that this is a work in tandem? It is not Him alone or me alone doing this great thing. He wouldn’t force it on me and I can certainly not do it without Him!

I long for the completion of the process here I am made whole. That longing can give birth to hope and imagination. Hope and imagination are risky tasks. I don’t frequently have the courage to embark on this journey. So, how hard must it be for one who has even fewer resources?

I wonder how often our guys imagine feeling whole. Only a few temperaments are inclined in this way. The others of us must learn it. Wholeness is a promise! It most certainly won’t look the way we think it should. It certainly will not be in the timing we think should be.

May God bless us with the courage and hope to look at ourselves and see where we are not on track, where His “powerful skill” can work to improve our hearts.

Shiann