Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Empty pots of pride ...

Another prayer from Leaving Ruin:

We sit, and wait for your words. Carve the words into us, Lord, let us know your words as we know the heat of the desert, in our pores, and don’t forget to give us water when we forget to take a drink. We are foolish, we know. But we want to listen, we want to walk on the mountain with you, but we are stuck down below, and our hands cannot reach high. Will we hear you today, O God, or will we only talk to hear our heads rattle, empty pots of pride and boasting? Speak, Maker, and with a God war-hammer break the stern fortress, and march around our stupidity and rage seven days, and blow trumpets and shout, so that we might fall to a gentler rule.

I wish you were here to speak.

Walk among us. Amen

This prayer brings to mind the words of a song we sing at times (I think I may have mixed up the lyrics, if so, I am sorry).


Break my heart, dear Lord.
Tear the barriers down.
Show me, Father where to start
And gently break my heart.

My heart is hard, my soul so weak.
The ways of evil cut so deep
I need you, Lord, to come inside
And gently break my heart.

To learn from our mistakes.
To see that resources are right in front of us for our pain.
To be more aware next time.
To be ready for God’s work on us and not forget to go to Him as the well.

I pray, as I write this, that we would be able and willing to move from the gutter and trash and look up for God to help us. That we may see the bigger beauty in the mess. That we may be able to reach for hope even in the darkest time. That we may have the courage to not dwell on our time as a victim but to dwell on our victory.

Shiann